Our confidential data center client with a rapidly growing fleet of facilities was looking to connect a 70 MW facility to the 110 kV transmission system. Premium Power were tasked with carrying out power quality analysis (harmonics & transformer inrush) at the sites 220 kV PCC to ensure full compliance with the grid requirements. The project also includes power systems analysis (short circuit, protection coordination and arc flash analysis) within the client’s facility to ensure optimum reliability and safety in all fault conditions.
Elevated levels of harmonic current and/or voltage impact the performance of sensitive systems, that are susceptible to harmonic distortion, and reduce the reliability of the plant. We offer planning and modelling services, in addition to our surveys, which provides thorough information for sites designing extensions or new builds to plan for harmonic distortion.
POWER SYSTEM RELIABILITY
Power quality problems can contribute to higher energy costs, slower production and faults in your electrical system. Proactively addressing power quality issues from design stage can offer significant reliability and cost benefits. We supply a complete range of power quality and electrical resilience solutions including harmonic filters (active and passive).
The presence of harmonics in the system may not always create an issue in a short run, however long term consequences should be considered.
The main issues are:
- Deterioration of equipment leading to reduced lifespan
- Increased losses
- Reduced reliability leading to increased process interruptions
- Failures of drives, PLC’s or Power Supplies
- Communication interference
BENEFITS OF OUR APPROACH
- Partnership with key customers
- Proactive approach to risk management
- Experienced personnel
- Quantify & Identify electrical risks
- Provide potential insurance premium gains
- Identify issues before outages occur
- Understanding of the cost benefit of investment
- Optimised reliability presented in a cost value process for optimal return on investment
- Compliance with ISO:9001 and ISO45001
- Implementation of asset management standards
”"Premium Power consistently delivered a high quality service under extremely tight time constraints. Feedback from the utility company stated that the grid PQ compliance report was the best they had ever received."George MoklElectrical Engineer