Schaffner is the leading international manufacturer of equipment that ensures the efficient and reliable operation of electronic systems. They boast a broad range of products in electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and power quality. Our expertise lies in the power quality field and mitigation of harmonics. We offer a range of products from their Ecosine Active Filter range, Passive Filter range, and Reactor range. The main purpose of all products is to mitigate harmonics, however each takes a different approach, so our team is on hand to provide expert advice and help you choose the best solution for your needs.
Premium Power are the official solution provider and distributor of Schaffner power quality products for Ireland and the UK. Offering a complete service, we can commission the equipment supplied and perform suitable PQ studies to validate performance of the equipment.
PASSIVE HARMONIC FILTERS
Passive harmonics filters are the more economical solution and can be used in a variety of capacities and voltages. These filters utilise components like inductors, capacitors and resistors to reduce, or mitigate, harmonics to tolerable levels as defined by IEEE-519. Passive Harmonic Filters have a lower physical and financial footprint, they also have guaranteed stability and little to no power consumption.
- The industry standard for 6-pulse rectifier and motor drives
- Filters for diode rectifier without DC-link choke and thyristor rectifier
- Best-in-class partial load performance
- Most compact design
- Plug and play, ready to use
ACTIVE HARMONIC FILTERS
Active filters are the more permanent flexible solution. These filters actively monitor the system and use a set of transistors and capacitors to filter the current waveform by injecting inverse currents to cancel out the undesired harmonic components. These filters have a higher physical and financial footprint compared to passive filters.
- Compact active harmonic filter for 3-phase loads with and without neutral wire
- <5% THDi achievable even on most complex mixed loads and changing load profiles
- New modular design with intelligent system approach offering tailored solutions for different applications and customers
- Extended temperature range of modules up to 50°C
- Ultra-fast and dynamic reactive power compensation
- Load balancing and unloading of neutral wires
- Compliance with IEEE 519, EN 61000-3-12 and other power quality standards
FEATURED CASE STUDY
Glanbia – Harmonics Mitigation
Due to high quantity of variable speed drives installed across the network for energy efficiency purposes, an elevated level of harmonic currents and voltage was being constantly recorded throughout the plant. It was identified very early that those abnormal harmonic levels will have a negative impact on the performance of the facility. A full evaluation was required to ensure that the electrical distribution network will function as required and could reliably support the new milk processing production equipment.
“"This project was a new build, yet this did not prevent the harmonic issues from occurring. Our extensive power quality and harmonic survey of the electrical distribution network identified a number of issues. Using this information we could then select, supply and commission active harmonic filters needed to correct the problems."”Barry NicholsonElectrical Engineer